Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Eric Clapton is a bell curve













OK, so I'm not too good with the picture thing. I could probably use some Photoshop skills.

But on to the topic at hand ...

I had just finished the last disc of the Eric Clapton box set, when I realized:

"There's nothing worse than latter-day Eric Clapton."

It's true: the man has gone from guitar god to R&B mess in a few short decades. I have no idea how to really plot a bell curve, but by the above picture, I figure he's just about at +25. If he attempts anymore music, especially anymore reggae or pop, he's doomed.

Just for reference, I'd put his high point (X) at Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs in 1970, with his Cream years just before it on the ascent. The descent, I believe was much slower, but has really taken on steam in the past few years, during which he reconvened Cream as an attempt to regain his mojo.

I'd love to really get in to this chart and make it a little more accurate to Clapton's overall arch, but my nerdiness is currently at its ebb and I will leave the task to someone with more free time, more skills, and more readers.

No comments: