Friday, November 17, 2006

3 Things Your Blog Should Avoid (from a novice)

At the risk of alienating the growing community of which I've just become a part, I want to impart some opinions I've formed from my quick tour of the blogosphere. These are things that generally turn me off:

1. Long posts

Before you even say it: yes, I do read books and I do read New Yorker articles. I am not a video-game savant, utterly opposed to reading pages of text. But not on a blog. I just don't care that much. Make a point or two, throw in a link or a picture, and post more later. Even the most coherent, funny, rage-filled diatribe will lose me after a couple paragraphs.

2. Posts with no words

A corollary of the last issue. Don't just post one photograph, one YouTube video, or one link. We can get those things practically anywhere. Give us a little commentary, even if it's a witty, one-word caption.

3. Ugly sites

Make your site as clean as possible. The average Internet reader does not want to read anything on a background other than white. At the best, it's distracting; at the worst, it's nauseating. I don't want to throw up on your blog.

Oh, one more thing: spelling and grammar count. They always do.

No comments: